Washington D.C. #3
I realized too late that I packed the wrong stroller. The double I brought has been to China and back and is the best for traveling by airplane because it folds up compact. It is not the easiest thing to push. It doesn’t help that my kids aren’t so little anymore. I should have brought my big red bus stroller with the big wheels that glide smoothly. I was a sweaty mess pushing the thing around the cemetery. Another day of lots of walking in the heat.
Agenda: Find parking, Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, lunch, back in the car to Arlington National Cemetery, night at home for the kids and a night out for me.
I completely rely on Luke for all my navigation and parking needs. Thank goodness Xiaojun navigated the D.C. area for me, but I still had to do the parking. We thought we’d be circling the National Mall for an hour before we found an opening. We were meant to be there at that exact time because we found one spot directly beside the Washington Monument and I paralleled perfectly into place. It was a bit of a dash to get to the Lincoln Memorial and back to the car in 2 hours, but we made it. We always seem to.
Miles’s legs were raw with mosquito bites after playing in the tall grasses.
Does it always feel like snack time?
I know, I need to lighten these photos. This is the National World War II Memorial dedicated to Americans who served. The Reflecting Pool was under construction so we only got to walk beside the work zone.
Photos courtesy of Noel. So, I bought these sunglasses hours before leaving on our trip. Didn’t really look too long in the mirror just needed to replace the ones I left in CA. Once I got home to look at these photos properly, I’ve learned that I hate the shades. They make my nose look huge and they’re too huge for my little face. I’ve given them to my mother (her nose looks fab with them on). I’m sporting a new pair. Bluck.
Hiking the stairs to Honest Abe wore these kids (and moms) out. Auntie Xiaojun treated them to candy once at the top. There was a load of people taking pictures along with us. I almost felt like we were back in the crowds of China.
A little lunch and some caffeine for the moms.
My trusty double became the stick holder too. The sticks made it all the way home to show Dad.
Our children are very familiar with the term reverence. We attend church every week where they are asked to remain quiet and reverent the whole time we’re in the House of Our Lord. Xiaojun and I had a long discussion about showing respect and staying reverent while at Arlington National Cemetery. They did great. We were all a bit shocked by the rows and rows of headstones dedicated to the heroes of our country.
President John F. Kennedy’s burial plot and the eternal flame. No talking allowed.
Guards are stationed at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It is watched over 24 hours a day. We stayed and watched the changing of the guards. The guard reminded all of us to not talk while viewing the monument.
Noel was begging to comb my girls’ curls. So while it was wet after night time baths; we gave her the opportunity.
Lars tuckered out early. Tommy took me to see the The Dark Knight Rises. Loved the movie and spending time with my family.


0 comments:
Post a Comment