Monday, November 7, 2011

Hong Kong!

Day #7 Taxies to train station, train to Hong Kong, taxies to ferry, ferry to Lantau Island, walk to house

We had a lovely little breakfast in our hotel and then scrambled to the train station.

PA130107

Miles was very excited to go find our train.

PA130113PA130119PA130121PA130122

We pulled out the Little Mermaid so Luke could have a snooze.

PA130130

Lars really struggled on the train. It took a lot of work to calm him down and get him to sleep.

PA130123

I was able to take a few photos of the rice paddy fields but the overcast sky made it look so dark. The landscape was very lush and green in the rural areas.

PA130124PA130126PA130128

First look at Hong Hong as we leave the train station and take taxies to the ferry dock.

PA130143PA130140

Holding their breath as we enter one of Hong Kong’s tunnels. Do you hold your breath when you go through a tunnel?

PA130139

Waiting for the ferry to take us to Discovery Bay.

PA130149PA130152PA130154PA130158

Lyla loved the feel of the boat. The water was pretty choppy and I took gulps of air hoping I wouldn’t be sick.

PA130153PA130159PA130160

Hugs from Lars helped.

PA130164

Lantau Island is beautiful! It’s a good thing we didn’t start our adventures here because we probably wouldn’t have left. Great weather and the beach, our kind of vacation!

PA130166

No cars are allowed on this part of the island, so we walked to Xiaojun’s cousin’s house where we set up camp for our final nights in China.

PA130167Jones and Stotens in China 2011 191

Discovery Bay photo courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Bay.  Xiaojun’s cousin’s house is nestled in there close to the beach. The orange roofed structures.

DiscoveryBay

We finally had a home-cooked late lunch and put the kids down for naps. Xiaojun and I made plans to head out shopping on our own. First I needed some Hong Kong dollars from Luke’s stash. Luke, where’s your stash?? We couldn’t find his wallet! He’d last used it to pay for the ferry, so we knew it had to be at the house or somewhere in between it and the ferry dock. We spent an hour looking and then Xiaojun and I headed out to shop with the plan to search the ferry boat and marina on our way inland.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 190

My beautiful, funny, smart, and tender sister-in-law, oh how I miss you!!!

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 193Jones and Stotens in China 2011 194Jones and Stotens in China 2011 195

This is the floor of the marina. Isn’t it cool? But no wallet.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 201

I’m not a huge fan of Apple. I have one of the earliest iPods but even I thought this huge Apple store was awesome.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 202

More photos from the mainland.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 207Jones and Stotens in China 2011 209Jones and Stotens in China 2011 208Jones and Stotens in China 2011 210Jones and Stotens in China 2011 212

We took a double decker bus to the popular Stanley Street Market. By the time we got there we only had a half hour to shop before they closed. Long enough for me to find a chess set for Luke and a pretty floral robe for my mom.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 213Jones and Stotens in China 2011 214

One shop owner I caught mid snore.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 215

Xiaojun and I were just re-boarding our bus to take us back to the ferry when we got a text from Tommy saying “FOUND IT!” Not sure how, but Luke’s wallet was shoved where the suitcase handle collapses into the back of the suitcase. Some serious prayers were answered.

Jones and Stotens in China 2011 217Jones and Stotens in China 2011 221

This is the night that all the traveling and lack of sleep caught up with me. I had one serious sickly, debilitating migraine. I’m such a light sleeper and trying to catch shut-eye in the same room as my kids just doesn’t happen. I felt so blah. We had a lot planned for our final full day in China, so I was stressing myself out even more to try and get some rest. I don’t know why (ok, it was probably the meds), but I felt much better the next day and didn’t feel nearly as tired as I should have been. Thankfully.

0 comments: