Canton Tower and Pearl River
Day #2
Travel: lift to bus station; bus to downtown Guangzhou: metro to the tower: elevator to the top of the tower: taxis to the ferry dock: ferry up and down the river: taxis to the bus station: bus to the suburbs: lift to the house. (I like to document all the public transportation we need to take to move around the city. 7 kids plus strollers plus gear is a lot of work when you have your own vehicle. It’s a major adventure when you don’t.)
Our day began with a sick little girl. She made it to the bathroom 5 times after first creating a sick mess on our host’s rug. She pulled herself together before ten o’clock and was ready to head out the door for more adventures.
Xiaojun’s aunt’s house had a beautiful view of the city. And thank you Auntie for doing our laundry!!This was the only time while in China that we saw single family housing. When we were in the cities, we saw that most families lived in apartment buildings reaching to astounding heights. Motorcycles aren’t allowed in most of Guangzhou because of the threat they pose to snatch purses of unsuspecting victims. The urbanites get around by public transportation or by bike. There are something like 12 million people in Guangzhou. My germ-a-phobia was put to the test not only by the public bathrooms but every public mode of transportation we used. Keep your hands by your sides kids and don’t touch your face!
A little morning entertainment while Masie’s stomach settled down.
The yard had the most beautiful little bridge and fish pond.
Buses
and stairs. I have to hand it to Luke. Not once did he complain about lifting or bumping that double around. The kids enjoyed the ride for sure.
Most restaurants gave us our own room. This one had cartoons too! Maybe they thought we’d create a distraction or cause too much noise?
Coke from the bottle at room temperature just isn’t the same. You can’t drink the water anywhere in China. When you ask for water at a restaurant the staff brings in a teapot and mugs and pours you a nice boiling hot cup of water. Don’t take a sip before it cools! We didn’t have an ice cold drink until or return flight from LAX to Phoenix.
Elevator up the Canton Tower. The twisting tower was briefly the tallest tower in the world when completed in 2010. The tower is located in China’s 3rd largest city of Guanghzou. Xiaojun’s old stomping grounds. The locals speak Cantonese.
Noel fogging up the window.
The Pearl River seen through the smog. Is there a way to cut through the smog with a fancy camera setting? I don’t know. The view was breathtaking, but I couldn’t quite capture it.
Xiaojun says Luke and I don’t know how to do anything but a passport photo pose… unfortunately she’s correct.
She on the other hand knows how to jazz it up.
When we were waiting in the line for the elevator back down, a man with a a large camera and lens kept standing in front of our family and aiming the lens at my kids. So I stood in front of my stroller with my back to him. He must of got some nice shots of my rear-end. Then I turned a little and saw he had moved to the side and was squatting and zooming the lens around me and into the double. Really??!! He just couldn’t take my subtle hint. I turned and faced him shaking my hands while smiling and saying "No, no, no. No more photos.” He sort of went “oh, ok” and backed right off. It’s a bit strange how people continue to photograph the kids. If it’s a quick click of the camera as we’re passing, I’m not so bothered. Or even if they ask first and then we can ask the kids if they’re ok with it, then I feel more comfortable. It’s the obvious and distracting in our face photographer that ruffles my mama feathers.
Note the blatant pointing, staring, and talking about us? Tommy and Xiaojun assured us that the people were always saying nice things about our beautiful kids. It’s not part of the Chinese culture to be subtle though. Tommy’s kids received a lot of attention also. The locals can’t tell that his kids are half Chinese, and they often think Xiaojun is our translator, nanny, or cook, or even our photographer, but not the mother of those 3 beautiful kids. We had a good time playing it up.
I love how in all the fancy new malls they still splash in the traditional Chinese decorations. See the hanging red balls?
Kids trying to see to the top of the tower.
We found “Old McDonald’s” as Miles likes to call it. I voted for doing traditional Chinese meals the whole trip but was quickly vetoed by the kids and husbands. We returned several times to the golden arches and also frequented Pizza Hut (they have a great spaghetti bolognas) when the kids were in need of fuss free nourishment.
Another metro.
Snoozing-on-the-go on the ferry ride on the Pearl River that runs through southern China.
One of my favorite photos of Lovely Lyla… what’s on your chin beautiful?
Miles’s favorite part was ferrying under the bridges.
Still sleeping… just waiting for them to wake to take a family photo of the night lights.
The lights on the buildings were amazing. I’ve never seen structures lit like this. Vegas doesn’t even compare. Many of the lights changed color or moved to create pictures and patterns.
The Canton Tower at night.
Sorry kids. I woke them up to get a photo. Masie was all smiles while Miles was ready for his turn to snooze in the stroller.
Stay tuned for our upcoming adventures as we head north for Beijing.
Also, I must note that from here on out you’re not allowed to look at my hair (or my swollen ankles since I’m thinking about it). I made a grave mistake back in Phoenix that led to me losing all of my bathroom liquid products. No hairspray, root boost, shampoo and conditioner, dry shampoo, face wash, or Lyla’s special lotion and body wash to help with her dry skin. All was lost when I tried to saved us the $25 baggage fee tacked on by US Airways and carry my bathroom bag through security. It cost us over a $100 in product and my ability to make myself presentable for photos. Yes, yes, yes, I’ve flown many times before and I completely know the rules. I was not thinking and I’m still really, really still upset about it.


0 comments:
Post a Comment